WinXP Print-Properties Crash

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Dec 22 13:41:24 PST 2004

leolite1 at yahoo.com wrote:

> I recently set printing on Samba for HP LaserJet5L and have WinXP and
> Win98 client machines. Drivers (Adobe ones) are installed fine, drivers
> get automatically downloaded and I can print from both machines. The only
> issue is that from Win98 I can get to Print->Properties but if I try that
> from WinXP then the application (any application) from where I trying to
> print crashes.

Sorry,

too little info to give any helpful answers. Please provide exact version
info about your Samba, CUPS, OS and printer driver installations (including
the used PPDs).

Have you run the PPDs through the "cupstestppd" utility?

Do you have printers with longer than 8 char names?

What does your smb.conf look like?

What does your smbd.log show if you set "debug level = 3" (or higher)?
What is in your Windows event log?

Can you open the "properties" of the printer/driver?
Can you change and save these properties?

Have you seen The Official Samba HOWTO Collection and Reference Guide?
(http://samba.vernstok.nl/ with 2 detailed chapters on printing)

Cheers,
Kurt