[cups.general] filter options effect banner too

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Dec 24 09:47:15 PST 2004

Alex Finch wrote:

> Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>> Alex Finch wrote:
>>

>>>  Hm, seems like a bit of a design flaw there then!
>>

>> Around here we call them "features!" :)
>>
>> Seriously, there was a time when we discussed the merits of
>> rotating or not rotating banner pages along with the rest of the
>> print job, and the customers driving the requirement (== paying)
>> said they wanted the banner to have the same orientation as the
>> rest of the job.
>>

>  Shame you didn't make it optional behaviour,seems I need to become a
> postscript  guru now to fix it!

You can always file a RFE at:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

I'm not sure what would be required, or how we would implement it
specifically, however it is a valid feature request.

>>>  Can you help me write a banner page that is impervious to being
>>> rotated, without disrupting the following job? I have a carefully
>>> crafted banner, designed to work with our output stacker. Rotating it
>>> 90 degrees rather spoils the effect.
>>

>> You can use dtranform (I think that is the PS procedure) to see which
>> direction the page is rotated, and then apply the corresponding
>> transform and rotate to "unrotate" things.
>>
>  I looked up dtransform in a postscript reference manual, don't see how
> it helps me!

You give it a vector (say "0 1") and it will return the transformed
vector (although thinking about it more, you might end up with X or
Y having some strange values - maybe just grab the CTM and check
for a rotated matrix?)