[cups.general] Fwd: CUPS STR #1036 updated

Marc Balmer marc at msys.ch
Tue Dec 28 06:43:13 PST 2004

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> Von: noreply at cups.org
> Datum: 27. Dezember 2004 15:53:02 GMT+01:00
> An: mbalmer at openbsd.org
> Betreff: CUPS STR #1036 updated
>

> Your software trouble report #1036 has been updated.  You can check
> the status of the report and add additional comments and/or files
> at the following URL:
>
>     http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1036

> compile the software
>       Scope: 3 - Applies to all machines, printers, and operating
> systems
>   Subsystem: CGI Programs
> Fix Version: Not Applicable
>
> We want to treat this cases as UNSIGNED, because the input name is
> usually
> UTF-8 (or some other 8-bit encoding) and not just ASCII.  However,
> mixing
> char * and unsigned char * types is inconvenient, so we just use char *
> and add the necessary >= 0 check for systems that use a signed char by
> default.
>
> Since this is only a compiler warning issue, we will not accept this
> patch.

You are wrong in assuming that this is a compiler only warning.  Your
code behaves different on plattforms where char is unsigned (like
macppc/OpenBSD).

If you do not want to use signed char * then you have to rewrite the
test.  On platforms with unsigned chars the first test (*ptr >= 0) is
always true.

You really should not trade convenience for buggy code....

- Marc

mbalmer at openbsd.org.