pam_authenticate error 7

Jim Avera james_avera2 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 18:15:07 PST 2004

Hi,
I'm trying to enable CUPS web admin access using the regular /etc/passed file (not /etc/cups/passwd.md5).  However, no matter what I enter into the login dialog access is denied and error_log says

  E [...] IsAuthorized: pam_authenticate() returned 7 (Authentication failure)!

I've tried both root and non-root user names.
Incidentally, I can "telnet localhost" and successfully log in as an non-root user, but root telnet logins are not allowed.

If I set 'AuthType None' I can connect to the admin server successfully.

My browser is Firefox 1.0.

CONFIGURATION:
SuSE 9.1 linux stock installation.
rpm -q cups says "cups-1.1.20-108.13"

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf contains (excluding blank & comment lines):
LogLevel info
Printcap /etc/cups/printcap
User lp
Group lp