Authorization Granularity

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Tue Dec 21 09:12:17 PST 2004

The current authorization scheme lumps together operational functions such as starting and stopping printers, with administrative functions such as configuring the system.

In our situation we need to give certain users ability to start and stop printers, and possibly to accept or reject jobs, without them being able to modify the configuration. (This mainly arises because the system sometimes places a printer in stop status, and the support personnel are not on-site and not guaranteed to be instantly available).

Please can you consider designing this into a future release.  That is at least separate out operational tasks from configurational tasks, but preferably allowing authorisation by lists of commands granted to lists of users and/or groups, to provide full flexibility.

Thanks,

Brian