[cups.development] cupsFilter need to parse PPD file to get user

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Dec 28 06:26:14 PST 2004

anonymous wrote:
> If I'm using scripting language, there's no CUPS API to use. Is there
> an existing model already to parse user options? (including PPD file,
> command line and kprinter's IPP attributes)?

There is no existing model; basically, you'd need to read the PPD
file (look at the "PPD" environment variable for the name) to get
the default option values (*DefaultOption: value), and then apply
any options that are provided on the command-line in the fifth
command-line argument.

> BTW, how does CUPS utilize IPP attributes? I thought CUPS will insert
> all control command into print file and let backend to send print
> file to printer. If backend is a usb/parallel printer, how IPP
> attribute handled?

IPP attributes are processed at various places in the filter chain;
ultimately your cupsFilter programs are responsible for adding
device-specific commands (PostScript devices are handled directly
by imagetops and pstops)