[cups.general] Re: Need help - cups.general forum gets too few responses

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Tue Jul 27 10:37:38 PDT 2004

Mike Dougherty wrote:
> First i want to thank you for having your email address available at
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/ and any direction you can give me.
>
> I've posted two requests for help on cups.general
> http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s2521+gcups.general+Gcups+v2522  and
> http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s2621+gcups.general+Gcups+v2624
>
> in the first (and only?) reply
> (http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s2523+gcups.general+Gcups+v2532)
> i was told to write a backend wrapper and figure it out from www.cups.org
>
> IMO, www.cups.org is next to impossible to navigate with any success
> (wandering around may be fun for some, but getting the job done is a
> higher priority)
>
> What I essentially want to accomplish is to have a Cups printer that
> will translate a character string in the input stream to the escape code
> (0x1B) in the output.
>
> If we don't have a solution soon, we will be forced to abandon Crystal
> and probably will also abandon the CUPS print server solution.

www.cups.org was not a very good hint for documentation about writing
filters and backends, look at

http://www.cups.org/documentation.php

and there especially at

http://www.cups.org/spm.html

This documentation is for the currently newest released version. Your
actually instell has built-in documentation on

http://localhost:631/documentation.html

and the Software programmers manual at

http://localhost:631/spm.html

    Till