How to speed up cups

df at beist.net df at beist.net
Fri Jul 23 02:36:07 PDT 2004

Hello,

we are currently evaluating CUPS as replacement for our AIX printing system. It seems to work so far...

But if the machine get's loaded with round about 2000 Jobs CUPS seems to work only with itself, and the throughput of printjobs goes heavily down.

We are using Redhat Enterprise Server 3.0 with the latest CUPS version that comes with it (i have no access to the machine right now, so I can't tell you the exact version).

Are there any ideas why this breakdown happens?

Are there any experiences how many printqueues cups can handle (we have
round about 6000 printers out there)?

Kind regards,
Dominik Fischer