[cups.general] New CUPS 1.2.X unable to install printer as root

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Mon Jul 5 14:38:28 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 09:23:33PM +0000, Nathan S. wrote:

> If anyone can give me a hint of any other printing system that
> works well with a Samsung ML1650, please let me know...Not that this
> is the only printer that I've had problems with concerning CUPS. I
> have problems with any printer using CUPS and Slackware 9.1, as my
> earlier unanswered posts would show.  I recieved one response with
> the idea of using lprng, but I was attempting to work with CUPS in
> the mistaken belief that it worked.

Considering that this printer is certified to work with SuSe Linux,
I think you probably did a misconfiguration somewhere.

See :

http://www.suse.com/us/business/certifications/certified_hardware/samsung/ml1650/

The fact that you have problems with ALL printers in CUPS seems to
imply that either your CUPS is incorrectly
compiled/installed/configured, or that a kernel device is missing
(/dev/lp0 ?)

> Right now all I've got is a 50 lbs. paperweight and a headache,
> with no time to deal with this.

Why would anyone have more time than you to deal with your problems
for free ?

I'm sure you could obtain paid for support from www.easysw.com

bye

Jerome Alet