New CUPS 1.2.X unable to install printer as root

Nathan S. candid at NOSPAMhotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 10:33:39 PDT 2004

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:19:42 +0000, Nathan S. wrote:

> Helge Blischke wrote:
>
>> Michael Sweet wrote:
>> > AFAIK, the ML1650 is not well supported under Linux, and I don't  have
>> > any suggestions for you or your problems.
>> >

>> According to www.linuxprinting.org, this printer is marked as "works
>> perfectly"
>> at that site, and the recommended driver is based on Ghostscript's
>> pxlmono (using
>> the foomatic approach).

the ML1650 is a great printer and i've had no problems with it.  i have
finally found what i believe to be a workaround for my problem.  i've
reverted to 1.1.20 that i download complete, not through cvs.  i saved it
in a fresh directory, compiled, installed, and everything worked fine.

my other problem that i've continually had is the reboot/restart problem
(the cupsd would crash on reboot/restart).  my workaround that seems to be
working for the time being is something so simple that it is stupid.  when
i reboot and the cupsd crashes, all i need to do is:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups reload

it works fine after that.  no more deleting /etc/cups, reinstalling cups,
and reinstalling the printer.  why "restart" doesn't work, i don't know.
all i can say is that it is working now and i'm very happy!

thanks for your help!

nathan s.