How to avoid CUPS disabling USB printer

Marcelo no at span.com
Thu Jul 29 11:51:33 PDT 2004

> Marcelo wrote:
>
>> In our system users often turn printer off to avoid non authorized
>> printing.
>> When CUPS tries to print and finds the printer off, it disables the
>> printer.
>> That happens with USB printers but not with parallel printers.
>> lpstat tells me:
>>
>>   # lpstat -t
>>   scheduler is running
>>   system default destination: Lexmark
>>   device for Lexmark: USB:/dev/usb/lp0
>>   Lexmark accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
>>   printer Lexmark disabled since Jan 01 00:00 -
>>           Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": No such device
>>   Lexmark-2108            walter         9521152   Sat 24 Jul 2004
>> 15:06:06 BRT
>>
>> To solve this problem I just enable the printer.
>>
>>   # /usr/bin/enable Lexmark
>>
>> Is there any way to configure CUPS *not to stop* the printer in case
>> of error ? so we don't have to keep enabling it every time users
>> forget printer off.
>

> Sure, don't use the absolute filename, but instead use the
> generic name (usb://Make/Model?serial=NNNN) reported by
> "lpinfo -v".

Thanks Michael,

The "lpinfo -v" command gives me the folowing:

# lpinfo -v
network socket
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct canon:/dev/lp0
direct epson:/dev/lp0
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
direct scsi
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS1?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS2?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS3?baud=115200
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp0
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp1
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp2
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp3
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp4
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp5
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp6
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp7
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp8
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp9
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp10
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp11
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp12
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp13
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp14
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp15

I can't find the generic name (maybe because the system is Thin Client !).
Do you mean use the generic name in the file /etc/cups/printer.conf ?

# cat /etc/cups/printers.conf
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.19
# Written by cupsd on Thu Jul 29 15:30:28 2004
<DefaultPrinter Lexmark>
Info Impressora telecentro
Location
DeviceURI usb:/dev/usb/lp0