[cups.general] pcl printing

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Thu Jul 22 09:27:59 PDT 2004

Hi,
I've got a few problem using printers with cups and PCL, so I hope somebody
here can help me. This is the actual situation: server red hat linux with lpr
(no cups) and a few SMB printers. The printers are all HP laserjet (different
models) connected to windows clients and PCL compatible. At the moment, using
the generic text driver (from the printtool) I'm able to print both plain
text of PCL prints via lpr. For example:
lpr -P hp711 file.txt
lpr -P hp711 file.pcl
work ok.
Now I'm migrating to a new server, suse 9.1 with cups and I'm experiencing
some problems. First of all I don't know exactly which driver to use, since
either raster of generic (or the hp itself) do not allow me to print thru the
command line. Either text of pcl prints are refused by the printer.
Furthermore I'm unable to find out the carriage return settings. In fact,
using the suse tool (yast 2) I was able to print a simple ascii text file,
but the carriage return was absent, thus only the first line appeared on the
document.
Any idea on how to set-up printers and configure the carriage return?

Thanks,
Luca

--
Luca Ferrari,