SUSE 9.0 and networked printer

Ian Leonard ian at smallworld.cx
Mon Jul 12 02:33:22 PDT 2004

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Ian Leonard wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have a SUSE 9.0 system connected to a Fedora Core 2 box with an Epson printer.
> >
> > I use YAST to setup a CUPS client. All appears to be well and if I when I try to print, it works. However after a reboot I can't print - I get the error:
> >
> > lp: error - scheduler not responding!
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > I then tried to configure cups via the web page. Initially I could get past the password authentication. On SUSE cups runs as the user lp. I tried to set a cups password for it, but eventually had to change the user to root. Now I get the main page up but any attempt to use one of the options results in a connection refused message.
> >
> > Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.
>
> You should call the runlevel editor from YAST and mark the CUPS
> scheduler to be
> started in levels 2, 3, and 5.
>
> Helge
>
> PS: Surely you may do this "by hand" using the usual command line tools
> and editors.

Helge, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it did not cure the problem. cupsd is running.

I had a look through the cups source. This error appears to be due to having no printers configured. Since this is a client only install, at no point was I asked what the actual printer type was. Could that be something to do with it?