input tray selection - pdftops vs. ghostscript

Bj�rn Pusch ld-development at lohndirekt.de
Wed Jul 28 05:33:06 PDT 2004

In order to draw paper from different trays for each document in one job, we send each (pdf) document to cups as a single job and stitch the resulting postscript together to one large job.

Until now we used a custom filter which uses ghostscript to convert the pdf file to postscript, which worked very well. But as gs converts fonts to images, this causes the printer to rip slower than printing.

Therefore we tried to switch to pdftops as filter. Now the printer does rip faster, but input tray selection does not work anymore: the first document is printed on the correct media, but all subsequent documents are printed on paper from the same tray.

As I cannot see any differences in the setup area(s) of the postscript, I assumed this was caused by  the %%DocumentMedia and/or %%PageMedia DSC comments xpdf/pdftops produces. But deleting these from the postscript did not help at all.

Any suggestions are highly welcome.

Thanks

Björn