[cups.general] Re: filtering vnd.cups-raw

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Jul 15 19:56:19 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:13:27 +0200, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> I would not recommend to introduce filtering for "raw" because
> how would you then print really "raw" (e.g. when the application
> or a Windows driver has produced the printer specific data)?
>
> Instead I would recommend to do something like
> http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/06/jsmeix_print-cups-filters.html

That works very nicely, but requires a PPD for each printer in order to
specify the filter and/or mime-type for that printer.  In my case, we
print text only to some OKI ML390 printers, for which none of the supplied
raster drivers work.  We don't care, since we only use the printers for
multi-part forms with text - so I copied the OKI 380 PPD, and modified the
cupsFilter.  The problem with this solution is that my PPD modifications
get wiped out whenever someone modified the printer with any of the admin
utilities.

o Is there a minimal PPD that can be used for "raw" printers to specify
filtering for that printer without specifying a bunch of other stuff that
doesn't apply.

o How can I make a manually entered/modified PDP permanent - i.e.
protected from being overwritten by the admin utilities?

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>