[cups.general] Dependency Nightmare

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Wed Jul 21 09:08:42 PDT 2004

* Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> [040721 06:31]:
> Tim Johnson wrote:
> >When I attempt to install this package as follows (as root):
> >rpm -Uvf gimp-print-4.2.6-1.i386.rpm
>
> Don't forget to upgrade all of the gimp-print RPMs...

  Tried a wild card. Shouldn't have done that. Sorry.

  I presume there is an order for which I do this install,
  but I don't know where to start. What follows is the
  list of rpms that I have downloaded:

  gimp-print-4.2.6-1.i386.rpm
  gimp-print-debuginfo-4.2.6-1.i386.rpm
  gimp-print-plugin-4.2.6-1.i386.rpm
  gimp-print-cups-4.2.6-1.i386.rpm
  gimp-print-devel-4.2.6-1.i386.rpm
  gimp-print-utils-4.2.6-1.i386.rpm

  If I start with gimp-print-4.2.6-1.i386.rpm,
  ]# rpm -Uvf gimp-print-4.2.6-1.i386.rpm
  ## I get:
  error: Failed dependencies:
          gimp-print = 4.2.4 is needed by (installed)
          gimp-print-plugin-4.2.4-5
  If I attempt to install via tarball, configure
  gives me the following error:
    "Cannot find GIMP libraries: Please run ldconfig as root"
    It appears that the GIMP libraries are at /usr/lib
    and LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib, so I'm additionally
    confounded by this error.

So: Where do I start?
    What other packages do I need?

> >1)What the &*(^ do I do now?
>
> First: Don't Panic! :)

  I haven't paniced and I'm unlikely to. But I am frankly
  quite frustrated, and to a great deal, I'm frustrated *for*
  open source printing and Linux, because I have installed
  numerous printers (all via samba on windows boxes) from
  RH 6.0 thru RH 9.0, and they have all been trivial to
  install, in fact easier than in a windows box, just pick
  from a printer list in printconf-gui.

  The process of installing a new printer driver *should* be,
  (in my opinion) not be linked to a complicated process
  of upgrading.

  When we get there, I can start telling my customers that
  yes, they can switch to Linux and open source products.

  If I'm ranting, :-) I'm ranting out of love.
  Maybe we can turn my problems into a howto.

> Second: remember to upgrade all of the gimp-print RPMs, as
> they depend on each other.  The error you got the second time
> came up because you only tried upgrading the base package and
> not the -devel and other packages.

  See my question above about "where to start".

> >   it where do I get it?
>
> We do offer ESP Print Pro for $49 (download), which can be demoed

  :-) That's an hour of my time. Will check it out.

  Thanks a lot for the response and the advice. Obviously
  I will need more.

  regards,
  tim

Tim Johnson <tim at johnsons-web.com>