[cups.general] [ANNOUNCE] PyKota v1.19 Final is out !
alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Jul 28 09:41:10 PDT 2004
I'm pleased to announce the immediate availability of PyKota v1.19
PyKota is a GPLed print quota and accounting software for CUPS and
LPRng written in the Python language.
This software can store its datas either in LDAP or in a PostgreSQL
database, and features both hardware and software accounting.
Hardware accounting supports SNMP, PJL, Netatalk, or any other
method you may create yourself.
Software accounting natively supports PostScript, PDF, PCL5 and
PCLXL (aka PCL6), but here too you can use your own accounting
software if you prefer.
In fact its great extensibility allows you to plug your own software
at most strategic points, giving an unprecedented versatility.
PyKota is available either in the form of 20 US$ yearly
subscriptions to Official packages (tarballs, .rpm and .deb), or for
no fee through the use of CVS.
Learn more about PyKota or download it from :
List of changes in 1.19 compared to 1.18 :
- LPRng support rewrite : hardware accounting is now done
immediately, just as with CUPS.
- CUPS support's mainloop rewrite : no more 99% CPU usage troubles.
- Software accounting now supports PostScript (DSC compliant and
binary), PDF, PCL5, PCL6 (aka PCLXL). A new command line tool
is introduced (pkpgcounter), which can be used independantly
if needed (PyKota has to be installed though, but no config
- Strict enforcement of quota is now supported : if activated
(not the default), people can't be over quota anymore.
- Easier configuration. Saner defaults. Improved configuration
helper for CUPS (pkhint).
- Configurable call-home-on-crash feature to automate bug/problem
reporting to author and/or admin and/or whoever you want.
- Improved web based reports.
- More versatile LDAP specific configuration directives.
- More datas saved in the database :
printer text description, history of payments, job size
in bytes, job originating hostname.
- X Window Print Quota reminder using On Screen Display (pykosd).
- Better dispatching of error or informational messages.
- Thai and Greek translation added.
- Swedish translation is now installed correctly.
- Improved documentation (a bit).
- Improved overall robustness.
- Usual bugfixes.
- Experimental Debian package is now available to subscribers.
- PyKota stuff (T-Shirts, Bags, Mousepads...) can now be bought
from http://www.cafeshops.com/pykota so you can spread the
word about this (great) software.
- Online polls are now available on PyKota's website. They help
to make PyKota better suit YOUR needs : just feed them.
This release couldn't have been made without the help of several
people who contributed their time to test, debug, enhance or
translate this software or its documentation. In particular I'm glad
to publicly thank the following people :
- Matt Hyclak
- Simo Sorce
- Ryan Suarez
- Michele Baldessari
- Sergio Gonzalez Gonzalez
- Suthep Yonpimai
- Jurandy Martins
- Spyros Melissovas
- Stefan Wold
for their invaluable help.
And of course I don't want to forget the several people who sent
contributions in the form of money : Thanks a lot ! This is really
Plans for the future :
- Powerful data dumper to export datas in any format
(xml, csv, sql, ldif, etc...) useable either through
the web or from the command line : this will allow
easier than ever reports creation with the tools of
- Versatile banner generation and accounting.
- Improved web based tools, notably introduction
of a web based management tool.
- Ink coverage accounting ala PrintBill.
Comments are very much welcome.
Thank you for reading.
More information about the cups