Unable to access printers as root

Doctorcam cam at ellisonet.ca
Wed Jul 14 18:50:57 PDT 2004

Using KDE 3.2

Subsequent to upgrading cupsys, etc. to 1.1.20final+cvs20040330-4 from the -3 version, it is not possible to access the existing printers.  I have purged the system of cupsys, cupsys-client, and cupsys-bsd, and every possible reference I could find to the two printers on the system.  On re-installation, one printer came up automatically when I used a browser for admin, and I was able to install it anyway and print a test page.  I intalled the other printer.  Now, even as root, I cannot access either printer.

lpstat -p (as root) gives the following: get-printers failed: client-error-forbidden

lpoptions -p HP1300 -l claims there is no ppd file (there is in /etc/cups/ppd, as HP1300.ppd)

Is there a bug, or am I missing something?

cupsd.conf has not changed, and the relevant parts look like this:

ServerName treehouse.ellisonet.ca
DefaultCharset notused
LogLevel debug
Printcap /var/run/cups/printcap
User lp
Group lpadmin
HostNameLookups On
SystemGroup lpadmin
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.3
</Location>
<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.1
</Location>

Oh, and nothing will print, which was where this all started.

TIA

Cam