[cups.general] page-ranges and page-set not working

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Thu Jul 1 05:46:55 PDT 2004

Matthias Czapla wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 09:04:33AM -0400, Michael Sweet wrote:
> > Matthias Czapla wrote:
> > >Hi!
> > >
> > >I'm running the Debian Woody packaged CUPS 1.1.14. I have a Kyocera
> > >Mita FS-1010 printer configured which works perfectly otherwise, but
> > >the options page-ranges and page-set seem to have no effect
> > >whatsoever. Each and every single page of the document gets printed.
> > >In contrast number-up does work, so it's not a general problem with
> > >my system. I need a hint as to where to start looking for the cause.
> > >Does the printer need to have specific support for these options or is
> > >the document modified by CUPS internally to remove the pages that are
> > >not wanted?
> >
> > CUPS removes the pages, unless you are printing a file that does not
> > conform to the Adobe Document Structuring Conventions.
>
> Mmmh, so I guess it's probably a problem with the file. It's quite old.
> To be specific it's the Troff Users Manual from 1992 available here
> http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/54.ps.gz
>
> Freshly groff'ed files work ok. Should have tried that earlier. Thanks
> for the help, Michael!

Just to answer the original question: the first line of the file reads
only
%!PS
but should read
%!PS-Adobe-
at least. And the %%BeginProlog comment line is missing (this only leads
to errors
with PPDs that contain unusual things like JobPatchFile statements
etc.).
The %%Page: nn nn comments seem OK, so that the page-ranges option then
should work.

With the current first line, the pstops filter treats the whole file as
a bunch of
unstructured PostScript statements.

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de