ulimit -t for ghostscript

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Thu Jul 1 07:44:17 PDT 2004

Environment:
Suse 8.2
Cups 1.1.18

I have lots of problems printing to a HP Laserjet 4000. Using the
Windows 2000 ppd file I had some documents that produced postscript
errors. So I decided to use foomatic for that printer (with ijs).
Sometimes, documents printed from windows clients cause ghostscript to
take 100% cpu usage and run forever (ESP ghostscript 7.07.1).
Because in that case the printers queue is blocked with those jobs I
want to limit the amount of cpu time for that gs process (started by
foomatic-rip).
My first idea was writing a wrapper script:

#!/bin/bash
ulimit -t 180
exec gs "$@"

Then I changed the FommaticCommandLine in the printers ppd file to point
to the wrapper script.
This worked perfectly good except for one thing: The output is prepended
with the following lines

%%[ ProductName: ESP Ghostscript ]%%
%%[Page: 1]%%
%%[LastPage]%%

I wonder why this output does not appear if I don't use a wrapper.
Anybody has an idea how to prevent those lines? Output redirection
doesn't help because the lines and the ijs output are both written to
stdout ...

--
Regards
Christoph
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Computing Center,     http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer/public-key.html