Installation errors

^^^^notapartofaddressJKimble at one.net ^^^^notapartofaddressJKimble at one.net
Fri Jul 2 11:10:49 PDT 2004

I just downloaded cups-1.1.21rc1 and two of the makefiles
printed errors when installing. Configuration and build
went fine. The first error was:

Installing lpstat.man in /usr/share/man/man1...
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: `for file in ; do  echo Installing $file in /usr/share/man/man3...;  /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 $file /usr/share/man/man3/`basename $file man`3;  done'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make: *** [install] Error 1

The second was the same but for cat3 instead of man3.

The problem was in the makefiles in the "man" directory
and "man/fr" directories. The MAN3 and CAT3 macros are not
defined and it causes a for loop to fail (empty list). It
looked like all the man files were covered by the other
macros (MAN1 and MAN5) so I just commented out the specific
code that utilized the macros in question and the install
completed without any other errors. Something to take a
look at on your distro tar though.

No criticism intended. Cups is a great product.