rastertopcl creating very large (> 2 GB) files

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Tue Jul 27 10:43:57 PDT 2004

> Well, I tried socket:, and I get a "network host 'hp-5000' is busy; will retry in 30 seconds." message from lpstat -p. . .  I guess we're stuck with the IPP backend for now. . .

The printer has been reconfigured and it now supports socket, which is infinitely better and faster than IPP for printing large posters.

Thanks for all your help! And for this great print server software!

I just wish the documentation was more complete/clear--things like this could be solved in the Software Administrator's Manual with little need to spend YOUR time on it.  For example, while there is a table of backends/network interface settings, there isn't really a description of the relative strengths/uses of each one, and when the different ones should/could be used with CUPS.  In fact, the SAM says that the socket interface is supported with reduced functionality, which implies to me that I should use something else if it's supported by my printer.

Again, thanks for CUPS/ESP printpro!  Without it we would have to use LPD/LPRng or some completely proprietary solution for each printer, which would essentially be impossible with the printers and requirements we have.