[cups.bugs] cups-lpd eats tons of resources [wlz.nl: #36]

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Jul 2 07:30:30 PDT 2004

Erik Slagter wrote:
>>>I was hoping some people of the cups project would do that... I do
>>>not have time spare to dive thoroughly into this matter and produce a
>>>patch that will work on any system.

>>In that case, please at least file this as a RFE so that we or
>>someone with some spare time can code a patch for it:
>>
>>     http://www.cups.org/str.php
>

> And how exactly am I supposed to file an RFE (although imho it's a bug)
> there?

Click on the "Post New Software Trouble Report" and select "1 -
Request for Enhancement" as the priority.

Asking for a way to disable the current functionality falls under
"asking for a feature".

Reporting performance problems would be a priority 1 or 2 STR.

FWIW, we have dramatically improved the performance of cupsGetDests
and thus cups-lpd over the years, but I am not sure there are too
many optimizations left on that code path; there is overhead
associated with IPP and layering LPD on top of IPP, and since we
already optimize what data we retrieve on printers we'll need to
look for more optimizations at the IPP/HTTP level.  (I think the
new domain socket support in CUPS 1.2 plus some new buffering code
might help things a bit, but I don't know how visibly it will
improve LPD performance...)