[cups.development] CUPS can't handle high frequency of reques t!

Sanjay Mishra Samishra at quark.co.in
Thu Jul 15 06:23:10 PDT 2004

Hi Mike,

The system configuration is as follows:
Hardware:
	RAM 256MB,
	800 MHz single processor
	Hard disk size 40GB
Operating System:
	Mac OS 10.3
MyApplication Requires:
	Virtual Memory :300MB * n [ n for number of process my application
spawn. Default is 4 and I am currently testing on this default value.]

I know this error of "can't fork..." is due to reaching the limit for the
number of descriptors a system can open. Currently when I am  testing I
don't run any other application.

It appears that the problem with setting the MaxClientPerHost is that the
CUPS itself checks for the value to be less than 1/3rd of the 4096 and if it
is more than that then it sets the value equal to the 1/3rd and throws an
error message of "maxclients limited to 1/3 of the file descriptor
limit(4096)" followed by "configured for upto 1365 clients". Can you confirm
this ? Could this limit be the reason for my problem.

When I configured PreserveJobHistory to "No" and MaxJobs to 0 for no limit
it did increase the transaction count significantly. I haven't tried with
FilterLimit values. I assume it might not have any affect.

My CUPS Filter does not do much job except calling another filter (already
existing in the Mac OS) using execlp() and wait()'s on it. When wait()
returns it simply ends.

The most important point is this problem comes only on single processor
system. On Dual processor my application and the filter works fine without
any problem.

When I tested using lsof command I got the list of 800 files still open when
error started coming in.

Where are the problem areas ? Where should I look into ?

Thanks,
Sanjay Mishra