[cups.general] short host name versus FQDN in Allow directives

Matthias Czapla dermatsch at gmx.de
Wed Jun 30 03:59:13 PDT 2004

Hi!

I'm running the Debian Woody packaged CUPS 1.1.14. The default
configuration prevents access to everything except for connections
originating from localhost. I want to let specific hosts in my LAN
access a single printer. I tried the following (the CUPS server is
on ddm.fick.xxx):

<Location /printers/kyo>
        Order Deny,Allow
	Deny From All
	Allow From ddm.fick.xxx
	Allow From localhost
</Location>

When I try to access http://ddm.fick.xxx:631/printers/kyo with a
browser running on ddm.fick.xxx I am denied permission. The access
log says:

ddm - - [30/Jun/2004:12:49:25 +0200] "GET /printers/kyo HTTP/1.1" 403 0

So I tried to put the short host name "ddm" in the Allow directive
and then it works. Why doesn't the FQDN work too? I have a local DNS
server running and so far it has worked without troubles, i.e. I can
lookup host names and IPs forward and reverse:

<root at ddm /etc/cups>host ddm
ddm.fick.xxx has address 192.168.128.1
<root at ddm /etc/cups>host ddm.fick.xxx
ddm.fick.xxx has address 192.168.128.1
<root at ddm /etc/cups>host 192.168.128.1
1.128.168.192.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ddm.fick.xxx.

Of course this is all not a super big problem because I could just
use the short names, but shouldn't the FQDN work exactly the same?

Regards
Matthias