[cups.general] BrowsePoll and PPD with samba Point and Print ...

C.Lee Taylor leet at leenx.co.za
Mon Jun 14 04:38:27 PDT 2004

Greetings ...

	I'm hoping that I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think this was
ever thought of ...

	We have Citrix Farm which prints to a Samba server which users CUPS,
which in-turn sends print jobs to remote sites, which have samba and
CUPS servers remotely.

	I'm a lazy admin, so I have setup the printers on the remote sites
server using CUPS and cupsaddsmb with PPD's for the laser printers.
Works very nice.

	My problem now, is to minimize admin, I have started using BrowsePoll
for printers from my remote site to local site for central printer
accessing, which works nice for printers that have there native drivers
installed, but the BrowsePoll does not seem to transfer the PPD files
from the remote site to the local site, so I can't do a cupsaddsmb
without reinstalling the printer locally ... Is there and option or
something that I can do ( short of reinstall each printer locally ),
which will be able to do this automatically ...

	Plus, I was wondering if there is a way to get Samba and CUPS to to
speak better to one another.  When CUPS gets a new printer, it installs
it into Samba?  Would be great to have this ...

Mailed
Lee