CUPS asking for USER AND PASSWORD

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Jun 28 12:01:33 PDT 2004

member7879 wrote:
> I'm using OS X Panther 10.3.4
> I'm trying to use my panther to print through Windows non-postscript printer.
> I tried this steps before on jaguar and worked but never use it on panther.
>
> here are the steps that I did:
> 1. on terminal : su
> # cd /ust/libexec/cups/backend
> # pwd
> # ln -s /usr/bin/smbspool /usr/libexec/cups/backend/smb
>
> 2. on internet explorer:
> http://127.0.0.1:631/printer
>
> as soon as I clicked add printer
> CUPS asks for user and password.
> I enter my root username and password and does not work.

I have the same problem. Several posts here are talking about the same problem. Apple secured (modifying defaults in the '/private/etc/cups/cupd.conf' file) the web admin interface of CUPS since some releases. That's a good idea. But you cannot use the CUPS web admin interface anymore to create/manage MacOS X printers. It doesn't work. It seems that the CUPS authentication mechanism does not bind the netinfo database. So, for now you have to manage your printers the MacOS X way, i.e. using the Printing Center application.

Hope this helps.
Regards.