IBM Proprinter (dot-matrix) on CUPS

Roman Huber kea13 at gmx.net
Tue Jun 8 08:31:28 PDT 2004

Dear 'all',

I have the hardest time getting a trusty old (antediluvian :)
ProPrinter X24 to work with CUPS.
All it prints is binary garbage ...
Whereas I hoped that the printer might have a problem or two,
hooked up to a Windows machine it prints fine.
So, I guess there's something fishy going on with my setup
which is as follows:

 OS:	Slackware Linux 9.1
 CUPS:	1.1.21rc1
 ESPGS: 7.07.1
 Printer Setup:
     DeviceURI:	parallel:/dev/lp0
     PPD:	Generic-IBM-Compatible_Dot_Matrix_Printer-ibmpro.ppd
		(as available through linuxprinting.org)

Printing is done through foomatic-rip.

Initially I didn't get any output (not even garbage) - this
was due to "gs" exiting abnormally for not finding the fonts.
A "gs -?" revealed a font search path of
"/usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts" whereas the fonts reside
in "/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts". Creating a symlink in
"/usr/local/share/ghostscript" to point to the latter directory
fixed at least the abnormal exit ...

Could this be the root of the evil I'm experiencing ?

Any hints, tips, RTFM's please ?
Thanks in advance,
  Roman