[cups.general] Encoding of PPD files

Georgi Georgiev chutz at gg3.net
Tue Jun 15 18:33:55 PDT 2004

I am trying to configure a very nice FujiXerox DocuCentre 707/708 machine we
have upstairs in school. I downloaded the PPD files from the fujixerox website
(they were included with drivers for some windows version) and the setup went
through fine. However, when I access

http://localhost:631/admin/?op=config-printer&printer_name=xerox

I get gibberish for the names for the options (actually called "patches" in the
API). I saw that the encoding was set as JIS83-RKSJ, so I decided to be nice
and changed the encoding to UTF-8 after converting the file itself to utf8.
However, nothing on the options page really changed, except that the junk
letters become different.

I set the language in my browser to French (i don't speak any, but at least it
is sent to my browser in UTF-8), but nothing changed again, except that even
French letters like e acute, were not encoded properly.

Is this a known issue, or is it an issue with my system?

P.S. Not subscribed to the list. Please remember to include me in CC.

--
\    Georgi Georgiev   \  When you are working hard, get up and retch  \
/     chutz at gg3.net    /  every so often.                              /