[cups.general] Samba & cups: how exactly work together?

Adrian Paul adrian.tan at qbiks.com
Tue Jun 15 18:59:22 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have a similar configuration throughout my LAN. (i.e. Suse 9.0 & WinXP)

This is what I did:

1) Using YaST, i've configured the local printer, specifying that it will be using CUPS as the print queue system. I was formatting my queue for RAW printing, hence no drivers were selected on the CUPS server end.

2) For test purposes, my Samba is sparsely configured, with the following conf.

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = TESTGROUP
	server string = Slak
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad User
	time server = Yes
	unix extensions = Yes
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
	printcap name = CUPS
	os level = 2
	printing = cups
	veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/tmp
	create mask = 0600
	printable = Yes
	printer name = styluscolor200
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
	write list = @ntadmin root
	force group = ntadmin
	create mask = 0664
	directory mask = 0775

[styluscolor200]
	comment = EPSON Stylus COLOR 200
	path = /var/tmp
	read only = No
	create mask = 0600
	printable = Yes
	print command = lpr -r -P%p %s -oraw
	printer name = styluscolor200
	oplocks = No

The above config works fine.

I advice using webmin or swat to make life that wee bit easier. Especially double checking the settings for all print related options under Samba in Webmin.

Cheers.
Adrian