[cups.general] Re: ppd for kyocera FS-1020D doesn't like postscript1.0

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Sat Jun 12 05:42:57 PDT 2004

ekkard gerlach wrote:
> Till Kamppeter wrote:
> > For me it looks like a PPD for PostScript printers. If the 1020D is not
>
> Okay, but why can I print from OpenOffice 1.1, Mozilla 1.6, ...(Suse
> 8.2)  etc.  with this "PostScript"-ppd to a non-PostScript printer
> without having installed any add-on? I even can print duplex! - with a
> "PostScript"-ppd   that produces code for a non-PostScript (but a PCL)
> printer!?! Can somebody here explain me that fact?

With CUPS you can talk to PCL compatible printers. CUPS can talk to several PCL compatible printers. If you add the 'foomatic' add on (it seems that you use this addon), then you have hundreds more choices in terms of 'compatible printers'.

CUPS (with or without the foomatic addon/filters) uses PPD (PostScript Printer Description files) to know the specific functionnalities of printers. PPD was designed for PostScript printers. If the printer manufacturer provides a PPD file for your printer, then, your printer can understand PostScript natively or buying an hardware option (a PostScript interpreter).

It seems that your printer can only understand PostScript as an option and you haven't bought this option.

You have then to interpret the PostScript code generated with your PPD file by CUPS to PCL5 code that your printer understands.

For that, you use the hplj4-pcl printer filter (which is certainly a foomatic filter).

But as you know, it cannot handle your Kyocera duplex option, because this option cannot be activated via standard PCL code that is generated by the hplj4-pcl filter.

Regqards