[cups.general] cupsd over 95% CPU utilization

Ardana Ardana at NOPSPAM_quicknet.nl
Tue Jun 29 14:47:06 PDT 2004

George Garvey wrote:
>    On one of our servers, cupsd started using almost the entire CPU, almost
> continuously. I've looked at the logs, and cannot see what it is doing.
>    Can someone suggest a way to diagnose this, so I can get it back to
> normal? That server always provides NFS services, and a data base server,
> which are both just about unusable now.

Do you use cups-lpd?
We had the same problem. All our printers (about 90) are accessed by the rest
of the network through lpd.
The cups-lpd proces has the nasty habit of requesting a list of all the
printers per lpd-job...
We've hacked the source to disable this 'feature'.

Good luck,
Ardana.