Duplex problem

Guenther Frick gfrick at chemie.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 16 04:01:15 PDT 2004

stelmo wrote:
> Helge Blischke wrote:

> > > www.quniverse.sk/stelmo/cups
> > >
> > > this first file was generated usig latex and then dvips while the second
> > > ps file was dowloaded from the internet.
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > Well, both files print duplex if requested from the command line (-o
> > sides=two-sided-long-edge)
> > at least with my installateion (CUPS 1.1.19 and the alternate pstops
> > filter). But it may be
> > that the 1.1.20 pstops filter is more regirous with respect to DSC
> > comnpliance.
> > Both files lack the "%%BeginProlog" comment line which may screw up
> > things belonging into the
> > prolog or setup section, respectively.
> >
> > Perhaps you could contact the radical eyes people to make dvips really
> > DSC compliant (it should
> > be not too difficult, believe me).
> >
> > Helge

> I had tried command line as well as xpp but none of them print the files
> duplex.
> The only thing which works is gpr but this is about something different as far as I know.
> If you can post the versions of software (cups as well as pstops filter)
> you use or even if you can point me to sources of the software I
> would try the version you are using.
> Thanks
>
> Concerning the dvips. We use a lot of files generated with dvips because  we are research organization and produce a lot of scientific papers written in latex. And I do not believe they'll fix it within a few weeks
> or so.
>
> Peter

GSview opens these files now without any comment. I had a bad configuration before.
Opening them with a text editor shows that they don't contain any
DSC comment.
In this post here:
http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/pid/280/qid/820839
sb. says that DSC comments are not necessary for page counting. The
interpreter should calculate the page number from the %%BoundingBox comment instead.
Maybe it helps to replace the ps2ps filter to circumvent the promblem
as discussed here several tmes before.

I'm not an expert in this stuff.