Help! Set up printer in Cups but connection cannot be opened

Dave dmccrack1 at netscape.net
Wed Jun 30 19:19:58 PDT 2004

I am having a problem printing and am hoping someone can give me some advice.

I install my Epson printer using the web interface, all goes well and I am able to print a test page from Cups.  I am unable to print from applications, however.  When I do an lpstat I get this

root at dragonslair:~# lpstat
Printer 'Epson1280 at localhost' - cannot open connection - No such file or directory
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
Printer 'Epson1280 at localhost' - cannot open connection - No such file or directory
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol

I am trying to print from the local machine that the printer is connected to.  Cups doesn't appear to be getting the file because I can't seem to send it to the local machinethere, but I am not running any firewall and am at a loss as to why.

I am running Slackware 9.1 if that gives any clues.

Thank for any responses