Epson EPL-7500 and Postscript printing

Michael Heide michael.heide at student.uni-siegen.de
Wed Jun 30 08:48:57 PDT 2004

Hi cups-general-group

I'm trying to get an Epson EPL 7500 running. (Gentoo Linux, CUPS 1.1.20)
It's a Postscript Level 1 Printer with Laserjet II emulation.
Using Cups Laserjet 2 Foomatic/laserjet driver everything seems "OK"
(the printout is not centered, parts of the print are outside printable
area...)

Using any one of the Poscript ppd's (Generic Postscript Printer with
Postscript level 1 prefilter or Adobes Original ppd for this Printer
(EPL75523.PPD) or Apple Laserwriter PPD) results in:
DISPLAY -> PROCESSING, yellow (CH P)-LED turns on
DISPLAY -> WAITING, yellow (CH P)-LED on
DISPLAY -> PS READY, no yellow LED
(green ON-LINE-LED is on all the time, Postscript mode on, Paper is
there, ...)

With debugging enabled (at printer-side) the printer prints out some
Postscript-errors:

mostly:
Error: syntaxerror
OFFENDING COMMAND: --nostringval--

generic without level1-prefilter mostly:
ERROR: undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND: colorimage
or
OFFENDING COMMAND: recfill

or sometimes "stackunderflow"

...even if I do "gs -sDEVICE=psmono (...)" before,
and I've tried plenty of Documents.

Do I have to change anything else (beside PPDs) to enable CUPS to send
Level 1 Postscript to my Printer?
How can i install a prefilter or postfilter or whatever to do this?

Greetings
Michael

(PS:
this psmono-file i can send to /dev/lp0 directly, then its printet, but
very small in the lower left corner, i think this is a known
gs-psmono-device problem)