paper size selection

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Jun 11 10:48:22 PDT 2004

Greg Saunders wrote:
> --------------000300000800080903090307
>
> Anonymous wrote:
> > Greg Saunders wrote:

> >>diff /var/samba/printers/W32X86/2/hp5000dj.PPD /etc/cups/ppd/hp5000dj.ppd
> >>1622,1623d1621
> >>< *cupsJobSheetsSupported:
> >>"none,classified,confidential,secret,standard,topsecret,unclassified"
> >>< *cupsJobSheetsDefault: "none,none"
> >>
> >>Somehow the ppd does get altered (via lpadmin -p hp5000dj -P
> >>hp5000c1.ppd). In either case, CUPS web admin displays all available
> >>paper sizes (so it would appear that the PPD is valid) but the client
> >>(W2k) can only see A2, A3, A4, letter and tabloid. This is not just on
> >>one workstation... a variety of W2k and XP machines.
> >>
> >>Greg
> >>

> > OK.
> >
> > 1) And what about the differences between /var/samba/printers/W32X86/2/hp5000dj.PPD and the windows installed PPD C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2\hp5000dj.ppd
>
> They are identical
>

> > 2) What 'PostScript driver' are you using on W2K and 2000 (The cupsaddsmb supports both CUPS and Adobe) ? In case of CUPS Postscript driver, what version ?
>
> Adobe PScript 5 (new download)
>

> > 3) Could you post an URL pointer to your 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2\hp5000dj.ppd' PPD file ?
>
> I'm going to try and attach the PPD to this post. Failing that you can
> retrieve it from: http://lnx.d2g.com:9080/lnxinc/hp5000dj.PPD
>

> > Regards.
> >

> Many thanks
> Greg

OK.
It seems that 'cupstestppd' (available in the 1.1.20 version) detects unauthorized 'blank' characters on line 410 of the PPD file :

..
**FAIL** Unable to open PPD file - Missing asterisk in column 1 on line 410.
         REF: Page 15, section 3.2

Can you try to cleanup this line (it should just begin and end with a carriage return character).

Double-check the PPD conformance properties of the new corrected file.

Then, override your /etc/cups/hp5000dj.ppd file with the new one.
Relaunch the 'cupsaddsmb' command.

On the windows XP side (I use this OS for the test), remove your printer, remove the driver (in the printer and fax system window, right-clic and select 'server properties').

Just in case, reboot your workstation, then reinstall (with point and click) the printer and let me know if the problem remains.

Regards.