OS X 10.3.4

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Jun 11 07:10:23 PDT 2004

Hugh Caley wrote:
> Have you enabled the root password on MacOSX and tried that?
>
> http://macosx.org/software/utilities/rootpass.html
>
> Hugh
>
> edwin at mac-happy.de wrote:
> > I use Mac OS X 10.3.4 and I can see my printer list with the webinterface from cups. But I can not change setting.
> > If I enter 127.0.0.1/admin in my Browser it asks me for a PWD.
> > I checked /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and changed SystemGroup to an other group.
> >
> > But where can I see which user have access to cups? Users inside the group is it not.
> >
> > Edwin

Hi,

I have the same problem. On MacOSX 10.3.3/10.3.4, the /admin CUPS URL is protected (see /private/etc/cups/cupsd.conf), but 'root' or other allowed account cannot access these pages. The 'cupsd.conf' is correct and permits user 'root' to access the '/admin' pages, but it doesn't work.

It seems that the only way to configure printers is the MacOSX way, i.e. using the 'Printer Center' utility. And, of course, it works great. So, you don't have to use the '/admin' CUPS URL if you have to locally manage your printers. But if you need 'remote' management, you can't do that now (IMHO). And I don't know why : peharps a problem mapping the 'root' user with the NetInfo DB in CUPS or a limitation/customization of this CUPS behavior by Apple.

Hope this helps.

Regards.