[cups.general] Colors and accounting with HP LJ 4600

Martin Drab drab at kepler.fjfi.cvut.cz
Wed Jun 2 05:53:34 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Helge Blischke wrote:

> Martin Drab wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem, here, with the HP LJ 4600dn using
> > CUPS 1.1.20 + SAMBA 3.0.2. When I use the PPD from the Wihdows HP drivers
> > that identifies itself as "HP Color LaserJet 4600 PS v3010.107", the
> > printing works, but the print accounting (i.e. logging into the
> > /var/log/cups/page_log) does not! I thought I solved the problem by using
> > the Foomatic hpijs driver. Accounting works there, but I've discovered
> > another serious problem. The color tones are not correct, in fact they are
> > _way_ off. So now it seems both PPD drivers are unusable.
> >
> > Can anybody help me on that one? I think the easiest way would be to fix
> > the "HP Color LaserJet 4600 PS v3010.107" PPD to produce something (??)
> > that would make it do the accounting. However, I don't know what should it
> > be. Another way would be to fix the colors within the hpijs PPD, also no
> > clue. :(
> >
> Isn't your printer a native PostScript printer?
> If yes, don't use things like Foomatic.

It is, but as I said, when using the original HP drivers (which
communicates in PostScript directly), the page accounting in CUPS isn't
working, and I really need that. The Foomatic drivers were just a
workaround for this problem. It worked fine until I realized, that it
totally messes the colors. That's my problem, I'd like to force the
original HP PPD to do the page accounting with CUPS, somehow. And,
frankly, I don't know why it isn't working.

Martin