defective PPD for HP LaserJet 4100n ?

rlharris at hal-pc.org rlharris at hal-pc.org
Sun Jun 20 02:15:48 PDT 2004

The CD furnished by HP with my LaserJet 4100n contained the NT4 PPD file  "hp4100_6.pp_".  Using the program Winzip running under Windows 2000, I expanded the file, then I checked the file with the "Test a PPD File" utility on the CUPS Support page.  I received the error message:

HP4100_6.PPd: FAIL
**FAIL**  Unable to open PPD file - Missing asterisk in column 1 on line 1162.
REF: Page 15, section 3.2.

I opened the file with Xemacs and jumped to line 1162, but saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Questions:  Is this HP-supplied PPD file usable with CUPS?  Did I err in expanding the file with Winzip?

RLH
rlharris at hal-pc.org