[cups.general] CUPS client to Windows 2003 print server

Guenther Frick gfrick at chemie.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 16 14:58:54 PDT 2004

Carrie Knox wrote:

> > Okay, so, next question...does this happen from all users on this machine,
> >
> >or just one particular user? Are all the users on this machine users in
> >Active Directory as well?
> >
> >john
> >
> > -- John C. Welch CIS johnwelch at kclife.com (816) 753-7299 x8473
> >
> Hello,
>
> I was previously printing as "root" on the Fedora-c2 client.   Printing
> from another non-root account on the fedora-c2 client  resulted in the
> same behaviour and the same System and Security event log messages on
> the Windows 2003 print server.
>
> Windows 2000 client systems can successfully print through  the Windows
> 2003 server.
>
> When printing from a Windows 2000 client system this is what is logged
> to the Windows 2003 server System event log:
>
> Document 160, Microsoft Office Outlook - Memo Style owned by bpowers was
> printed on b4r167 via port b4r167.americas.sgi.com.  Size in bytes:
> 1003112; pages printed : 1
>
> And only two messages are logged to the Windows 2003 server Security
> event log:
>
> -----------------------------------
> Special privileges assigned to new logon:
>    User Name:    bpowers
>    Domain:       AMERICAS
>    Login ID:     (0x0, 0x8EBC5B8E)
>    Privileges:   SeChangeNotifyPrivilege
> -----------------------------------
> "Successful Network Logon:
>    User Name:   bpowers
>    Domain:      AMERICAS
>    Logon ID:    (0x0,0x8EBC5B8E)
>    Logon Type:   3
>    Logon Process:   NtLmSsp
>    Authentication Package:   NTLM
>    Workstation Name:   PC-BPOWERS
>    Logon GUID:   -
>    Caller User Name:  -
>    Caller Domain:       -
>    Caller Process ID:   -
>    Transited Services:  -
>    Source Network Address:  137.38.67.35
>    Source Port:   0
>
> It appears that the Windows 2000 clients are not using the
> IUSER_CF--CF--006FP-2 account for authentication, but are instead
> authenticating with the user's logon domain account using different
> logon processes and authentication packages than the fedora-c2 client.
>
> Also, I see that the Source Network Address is known and the Source Port
> is set.
>
> Not sure what would need to happen to get the fedora-c2 client to
> authenticate with the user's logon instead of the IUSER_<servername>
> account.  I'm guessing that IUSER_<servername> is used for anonymous?
>
> Thanks,
> Carrie

HOW TO: Configure Internet Printing in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323428

No authentication method cited here is used by CUPS.
The only possible method is 7.: IP Address and Domain Name Restrictions

Microsoft generally don't intend to obey recognized standards.
They use IPP on port 80 instead of 631.