Decifering PPD/lpoptions for use in "-o" command line

Patrick Spinler pspinler at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 12:08:26 PDT 2004

Hi:

Our office just got a Cannon Imagerunner 7200 copier with the print
spooler option.

I found a PPD for it, as you can see from the following inserted ID
section I clipped, and it works wonderfully

   *Manufacturer: "Canon"
   *PCFileName: "CNIR72U1.PPD"
   *Product: "(iR7200)"
   *PSVersion: "(3010.103) 0"
   *ModelName: "Canon iR7200"

The copier supports a lot of other interesting and wonderful options
such as hole punching and saddle stitching, which I've used from the
copier's control panel when making copies of paper docs.  I've even been
able to specify these same options when printing from windows

When printing using cups on linux, however, I am uncertain how to feed
these options into a "-o" string.

Woudl some kind soul direct me how I might format a "-o " option string
to the lp/lpr commands such that I could, for instance, hole punch,
staple, or fold a document ?

Here's the output of a "lpoptions -l -Pcopier":

   Booklet/Booklet Printing: *None Left
   Duplex/Duplex: *None DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble
   Finishing/Finishing: *None RotCol RotGr OffCol OffGr
   Gutter/Gutter: 12inch 11inch 10inch 9inch 8inch 7inch 6inch 5inch
4inch 3inch 2inch 1inch *None
   BindingLocation/Gutter Location: *None LongEdge ShortEdge
   Punch/Hole Punch: *None PL PR PU PB
   ImageRefine/Image Refinement: *Default Off On
   Inserter/Insert Sheet: *Default Off On
   LineRefine/Line Refinement: *Default Off On
   InputSlot/Media Source: *Auto MPT Tray1 Tray2 Tray3 Tray4 Tray5 Tray6
Auto
   MediaType/Media Type: *None PLAIN HEAVY RECYCLED COLOR LHEAD TRACING
TRANSPR LABELS BOND CARDSTOCK PREPUNCHED
   CNOutput/Paper Output: *Auto TrayA TrayB
   SaddleStitch/Saddle Stitch: *Default Off On
   Staple/Staple Position: *None 1PRU 1PLU 1PRB 1PLB 2PL 2PR 2PU 2PB
   TonerReduction/Toner Reduction: *Default Off On
   Interleave/Transparency Interleaving: *None White Printed
   TSwitch/Tray Switch: *Default Off On
   Trimmer/Use Trimmer to trim paper: *Default Off On
   ZFold/Z-Fold: *Default Off OnL OnR
   PageSize/Media Size: Custom *Letter Legal A3 A4 A5 B4 B5 Tabloid
Executive Statement Cardstock46 Cardstock58
   PageRegion/PageRegion: Letter Legal A3 A4 A5 B4 B5 Tabloid Executive
Statement Cardstock46 Cardstock58
   Option5/Document Insertion Unit-B1: True *False
   Option2/Output Option: *None FINK1 FINK2 FINK3 3K
   Option4/Paper Folding Unit-C1: True *False
   Option3/Puncher Unit: True *False
   Option1/Side Paper Deck: *None Normal Large
   Option6/Trimmer: True *False

Incidently, I've tried the following commands to get hole punching
working from a linux command line, to no avail.  That is, each of my
tests printed a page, but none of them were hole punched.  Just to
repeat - I _am_ able to force hole punching via either printing from
windows, or manually copying paper docs using the copier's console.

  $ echo -e "\n\noption PL\n\n" | lpr -Pcopier -o Punch=PL
  $ echo -e "\n\noption PR\n\n" | lpr -Pcopier -o Punch=PR
  $ echo -e "\n\noption PU\n\n" | lpr -Pcopier -o Punch=PU
  $ echo -e "\n\noption PB\n\n" | lpr -Pcopier -o Punch=PB

As a more general question, how do I interpet what the available options
mean ?  For instance, in the "Staple/Staple Position:" option, what do
the various possible values mean ?

Thanks a ton !
-- Pat