[cups.general] Colors and accounting with HP LJ 4600

Guenther Frick gfrick at gmx.net
Wed Jun 2 09:13:15 PDT 2004

Martin Drab wrote:

> I don't think I know what you're talking about. Could you please explain a
> bit more what names and what setup are you talking about?
>
> In both PPD files (orig. HP and hpijs) it states:
>
> 	*ModelName:     "HP Color LaserJet 4600 PS"
>
> and the printer name (under which the CUPS is recognizing the printer) is
> KIPLCOL. However I don't see how are these two (supposed to be) related,
> and how they should be related to the page accounting. I think the
> problem has to be in that the original HP PPD generates something
> that makes the pstops filter not do the accounting (or perhaps it doesn't
> generate something it should)? Perhaps I just don't understand?
>
> Martin Drab

Obviously to pstops filter of CUPS doen't work as you expect.
There are two possibilities. You can use Pykota as an accounting tool.
The link is on the frontside of cups.org

Or you insert a directive in the HP PPD file to use Foomatic rip instead
of CUPS pstops filter.
Insert into the PPD file this line:
*cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"