[cups.general] job-media-sheets-completed on banner page

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Jun 2 05:06:52 PDT 2004

Paulo Almeida wrote:
>>cups at esenf.pt wrote:
>>
>>>I'm using CUPS version 1.1.20-0 integrated with SAMBA version 2.2.8a,
>>>both
>>>provided from Suse on a SLES8 installation. The system works nice with
>>>page accounting. Now, i want print a banner page at end of each job with
>>>user, job-id, title, data and number of printed pages. Everythig works
>>>fine except the number of printed pages.
>>>I'm using ({job-media-sheets-completed}) tag but the output is always 0
>>>(zero).
>>
>>Since CUPS doesn't know the value of job-media-sheets-completed until
>>after the job has finished printing, it will always be 0 on the banner
>>pages.
>

> It will have some way to skirt this?

No, there is no way around this short of writing a special filter
and defining a file type which then scans the files for a job and
inserts the proper values yourself, e.g. define a MIME type
called application/paulo-banner and a filter called paulobannertops
which looks at the /var/spool/cups/dJOBID-### files and produces a
total page count from them in a PostScript (or plain text) banner.