Duplex problem

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Wed Jun 16 09:21:34 PDT 2004

stelmo at savba.sk wrote:

> Helge Blischke wrote:
> > stelmo at savba.sk wrote:

> > > the test files can be found at
> > >
> > > www.quniverse.sk/stelmo/cups
> > >
> > > this first file was generated usig latex and then dvips while the second
> > > ps file was dowloaded from the internet.
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > Well, both files print duplex if requested from the command line (-o
> > sides=two-sided-long-edge)
> > at least with my installateion (CUPS 1.1.19 and the alternate pstops
> > filter). But it may be
> > that the 1.1.20 pstops filter is more regirous with respect to DSC
> > comnpliance.
> > Both files lack the "%%BeginProlog" comment line which may screw up
> > things belonging into the
> > prolog or setup section, respectively.
> >
> > Perhaps you could contact the radical eyes people to make dvips really
> > DSC compliant (it should
> > be not too difficult, believe me).
> >
> > Helge
> >
> > --
> > H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
> > H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com
> > H.Blischke at acm.org
>
> In addition I have tried the following:
> I downloaded fresh cupsys-1.1.20 source package from debian mirror and I have replaced the source file pstops.c with an older pstops.c
> from the 1.1.14 version of cupsys and compile the whole thing (cupsys).
> In this case (the binary files pstops differ, cupsys 1.1.20 vs. 1.1.14 but the same source file pstops.c)  I get duplex right.
> So it seems to me that the problem lies in the filter pstops indeed (I just wanted to be sure and see clearly what you see right away)

Please, post or send me the PPD for the printer you have trouble with. I
just looked at
the latest three versions of pstops.c (the ones distributed with 1.1.19,
1.1.20, and
the CVS one) and didn't find anything that could disturb the duplex
printing.
As I don't know which source version of this filter was in 1.1.14, I
have no idea -
perhaps you could send me a diff.

As for the PPD, if that contains a JobPatchFile statement, in case of a
missing
%%BeginProlog statement the job patch file stuff may be emitted _after_
the setup stuff
(the defaults you configured for the printer).

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com
H.Blischke at acm.org