HP 870Cxi / Printer not connected

Stefan s.schumacher at netcologne.de
Fri Jun 25 14:24:59 PDT 2004

Hello

I recently installed Suse 9.1 on the computer I have always used (among other things ) as print server and so far I have not been able to get my HP870 Cxi working.

Preface : There is still an old Windows 98 Installation on this PC and from Windows the Printer works fine. I have enabled Parallel Support and Bidirectional Communication in the Kernel and it seems that the printer is recognized just fine.

parport0: PC-style at 0x3bc (0x7bc) [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
parport0: Printer, HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 870C
parport_pc: Via 686A parallel port: io=0x3BC

I configured the printer via the web-interface and the name of the printer also appears in the device selection - another indication that hardware-wise everything seems to be in order. But if I try to print even only a test page the following error message appears in the webinterface.

"Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds..."
Device URI: parallel:/dev/unknown-parallel0

I have set the log level to debug but I haven't found anything in cups/error_log which I could identify as possible cause for this problem.

Here are the version information for my cups-installation.

Cups & Cups-Client & Cups-Libs : 1.1.20-103
cups-drivers-stp : 1.1.20-60
cups-driver :     1.1.20-66.1

I am using a plain vanilla 2.6.6-Kernel.

How can I fix this problem ?

Yours

Stefan