Decifering PPD/lpoptions for use in "-o" command line

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Jun 11 13:05:34 PDT 2004

Patrick Spinler wrote:

> Hi:

Hi,

> Our office just got a Cannon Imagerunner 7200 copier with the print
> spooler option.
>
> I found a PPD for it, as you can see from the following inserted ID
> section I clipped, and it works wonderfully
>
>    *Manufacturer: "Canon"
>    *PCFileName: "CNIR72U1.PPD"
>    *Product: "(iR7200)"
>    *PSVersion: "(3010.103) 0"
>    *ModelName: "Canon iR7200"
>
> The copier supports a lot of other interesting and wonderful options
> such as hole punching and saddle stitching, which I've used from the
> copier's control panel when making copies of paper docs.  I've even been
> able to specify these same options when printing from windows
>
> When printing using cups on linux, however, I am uncertain how to feed
> these options into a "-o" string.
>
> Woudl some kind soul direct me how I might format a "-o " option string
> to the lp/lpr commands such that I could, for instance, hole punch,
> staple, or fold a document ?

Just use the '-o' parameter withe the following syntax :

-o PPD-option=PPD=value

i.e. for the PPD option 'Duplex', try this :

-o Duplex=DuplexNoTumble

That's all !

> Here's the output of a "lpoptions -l -Pcopier":
>
>    Booklet/Booklet Printing: *None Left
>    Duplex/Duplex: *None DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble
>    Finishing/Finishing: *None RotCol RotGr OffCol OffGr
>    Gutter/Gutter: 12inch 11inch 10inch 9inch 8inch 7inch 6inch 5inch
> 4inch 3inch 2inch 1inch *None
>    BindingLocation/Gutter Location: *None LongEdge ShortEdge
>    Punch/Hole Punch: *None PL PR PU PB
>    ImageRefine/Image Refinement: *Default Off On
>    Inserter/Insert Sheet: *Default Off On
>    LineRefine/Line Refinement: *Default Off On
>    InputSlot/Media Source: *Auto MPT Tray1 Tray2 Tray3 Tray4 Tray5 Tray6
> Auto
>    MediaType/Media Type: *None PLAIN HEAVY RECYCLED COLOR LHEAD TRACING
> TRANSPR LABELS BOND CARDSTOCK PREPUNCHED
>    CNOutput/Paper Output: *Auto TrayA TrayB
>    SaddleStitch/Saddle Stitch: *Default Off On
>    Staple/Staple Position: *None 1PRU 1PLU 1PRB 1PLB 2PL 2PR 2PU 2PB
>    TonerReduction/Toner Reduction: *Default Off On
>    Interleave/Transparency Interleaving: *None White Printed
>    TSwitch/Tray Switch: *Default Off On
>    Trimmer/Use Trimmer to trim paper: *Default Off On
>    ZFold/Z-Fold: *Default Off OnL OnR
>    PageSize/Media Size: Custom *Letter Legal A3 A4 A5 B4 B5 Tabloid
> Executive Statement Cardstock46 Cardstock58
>    PageRegion/PageRegion: Letter Legal A3 A4 A5 B4 B5 Tabloid Executive
> Statement Cardstock46 Cardstock58
>    Option5/Document Insertion Unit-B1: True *False
>    Option2/Output Option: *None FINK1 FINK2 FINK3 3K
>    Option4/Paper Folding Unit-C1: True *False
>    Option3/Puncher Unit: True *False
>    Option1/Side Paper Deck: *None Normal Large
>    Option6/Trimmer: True *False
>
> Incidently, I've tried the following commands to get hole punching
> working from a linux command line, to no avail.  That is, each of my
> tests printed a page, but none of them were hole punched.  Just to
> repeat - I _am_ able to force hole punching via either printing from
> windows, or manually copying paper docs using the copier's console.
>
>   $ echo -e "\n\noption PL\n\n" | lpr -Pcopier -o Punch=PL
>   $ echo -e "\n\noption PR\n\n" | lpr -Pcopier -o Punch=PR
>   $ echo -e "\n\noption PU\n\n" | lpr -Pcopier -o Punch=PU
>   $ echo -e "\n\noption PB\n\n" | lpr -Pcopier -o Punch=PB
>
> As a more general question, how do I interpet what the available options
> mean ?  For instance, in the "Staple/Staple Position:" option, what do
> the various possible values mean ?

You should make the association between the PPD values and the options meaning simply by comparing such options with their meaining in the windows interface driver.

For example, I suppose that the meaning for

>    Staple/Staple Position: *None 1PRU 1PLU 1PRB 1PLB 2PL 2PR 2PU 2PB

are :

- 1PRU => 1 Punch at Up Right corner
- 1PLU => 1 Punch at Up Left corner
- 1PRB => 1 Punch at Bottom Right corner
- 1PLB => 1 Punch at Bottom Left corner
- 2PL => 2 Punches at Left border
- 2PR => 2 Punches at Right border
- 2PU => 2 Punches at Up border