Printing from cygwin?

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Jun 25 08:30:24 PDT 2004

I'm running CUPS v.1.1.20 on a Linux box (no Samba) and trying to print to it from cygwin on XP Pro.

XP apps work fine; I've set up a printer at port http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:631/printers/printername that they use.

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC44 tells me how to print under cygwin, and http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-effectively.html#AEN1751 tells me different things.

I can't figure out any way to address the printer properly in lpr (or lpq).  For example,

date | lpr -P//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:631/printers/lj1300ps

returns

lpr: printer error: can't open ... for writing: The printer name is invalid.

Suggestions?  I'd like to be able to print directly from NTEmacs, too, instead of spooling a Postscript buffer, converting to PDF, and printing that with Acrobat Reader.

Thanks,

Bill