Additional pages with Postscript error messages.

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Fri Jun 4 04:08:42 PDT 2004

Vegar Nilsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a problem with one of the printers at a customer's site. When I'm
> printing from the Windows 2000 clients I get two additional pages, one
> empty, and one with lots of Postscript error messages. This also happens
> if I print to the PDF backend from these clients. If I print a test page
> from CUPS itself everything works just fine.
>
> To illustrate this I've put a few samples here:
>
> http://vn.cl.no/cups/
>
> The file readme.txt describes what each file contains.
>
> The printer is an HP Business Inkjet 2230, non-Postscript ink printer.
>
> Software versions:
> root#flyinglure [~] uname -sr
> FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p4
> root#flyinglure [~] gs -v
> GNU Ghostscript 7.07 (2003-05-17)
> root#flyinglure [~] espgs -v
> GNU Ghostscript 7.07 (2003-05-17)
> root#flyinglure [~] cups-config --version
> 1.1.20
>
> CUPS is installed from an updated ports tree, with no error messages
> during compilation.
>
> Since this problem wastes quite a lot of my customer's fancy letterheaded
> paper I would really appreciate any pointers to how I can get rid of these
> error messages. (I've tried redirecting stderr to /dev/null in the shell
> scripts, with no effect.)

It's either en error in word or in the AdobePS 5.2.2 PostScript
generator (the code contained
in the DLL). The prn file renders OK if you delete the lines
	userdict begin /ehsave save def end
and
	ehsave restore
which bracket the PostScript code of each page.

I've no idea what this is godd (or iven intended) for.

Thisgs like this are one reason we abandoned the AdobePS drivers and
reverted to the NT4 ones
(in fackt, the CUPS version of).

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de