[cups.general] Re: ppd for kyocera FS-1020D doesn't like postscript1.0

ekkard gerlach jack at aiai.de
Sat Jun 12 01:26:56 PDT 2004

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> For me it looks like a PPD for PostScript printers. If the 1020D is not

Okay, but why can I print from OpenOffice 1.1, Mozilla 1.6, ...(Suse
8.2)  etc.  with this "PostScript"-ppd to a non-PostScript printer
without having installed any add-on? I even can print duplex! - with a
"PostScript"-ppd   that produces code for a non-PostScript (but a PCL)
printer!?! Can somebody here explain me that fact?

> a PostScript printer, there is most probably a PostScript add-on module,
> for which the PPD is made. Without add-on module the printer should work
> in PCL. If it is not explicitly listed on linuxprinting.org, use the
> "Generic PCL ... Printer" entries to obtain an appropriate PPD for the
> GhostScript drivers "pxlmono", "ljet4d", or HPIJS

Yes, laserJet4l-pcl-driver ppd works fine fpr FS-1020D so far. This
driver is used so far to print PostScript1.0-files. But I want to print
in duplex mode.

thx
ekkard