[cups.general] Re: pstops not being called

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Jun 9 13:05:38 PDT 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 03:51:17PM -0400, Jeff Hardy wrote:
> I've written a perl wrapper backend that wraps around the existing LPD
> backend.  It examines print jobs looking for the data below.  The
> advantage is that it does not care how it hits the filter chain, or even
> if it is a raw queue... it will always examine the postscript.  We had
> some of the same problems.  It's Perl so you can easily modify it for
> your environment:
>
> http://fritz.potsdam.edu/projects/cups/
>
> > Daniel Lawson wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm trying to set up printer accounting (very trivial, just
> want job/page counts per user / printer - don't care about quota,
> just want to yell at person(s) printing too much).

if you want you can use PyKota in account only mode : no
quota enforcement will be done, but correct print accounting
is still done. PyKota allows you to do this on a per user
or per user group basis : for example you put all staff in
account only mode, but students have quota enforcement
still activated.

PyKota features a CUPS backend wrapper which wraps ALL other CUPS
backends easily and automatically, and which can be plugged
into CUPS directly from CUPS' own web interface.

In addition to featuring hardware based print accounting, PyKota
also features software based print accounting, and include a
generic PDL parser which can actually parse both PostScript
and PCL5 (PCL6 aka PCLXL soon). You can very easily plug your
own PDL parser if you prefer or have specific requirements.

<mode lol="ON" anotherlanguageflamewar="OFF">
And since it's written in Python, you can easily modify it for
your environment :->

  http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/action_Presentation
</mode>

hth